My first crack at projecting the first round of the NFL draft on April 23:
1. Cincinnati: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU. The Bengals were active in free agency (three defensive starters) and tagged receiver A.J. Green, which should be good signals to Burrow about the franchise’s commitment.
2. Washington: Chase Young, DE/OLB, Ohio State. Don’t overthink it, Redskins. Just sit tight and take the NFL-ready Young.
3. Detroit: Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State. A cornerback hasn’t been drafted in the top three since 1997 (Shawn Springs to Seattle). Okudah will play opposite recently signed veteran Desmond Trufant.
4. New York Giants: Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama. The Giants will have their pick of the top tackles and choose Wills to play right tackle.
5. Miami: Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama. The Dolphins’ only concern should be if a team leap-frogs them to get Tua, whose throwing video last Monday was positive.
6. Los Angeles Chargers: Justin Hebert, QB, Oregon. The Chargers have Tyrod Taylor as their starter.
7. Carolina: Isaiah Simmons, LB/S, Clemson. The arrival of quarterback Teddy Bridgewater via a three-year contract takes the Panthers out of a quarterback conversation.
8. Arizona: Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa. The Cardinals’ trade for receiver DeAndre Hopkins allows them to go with Wirfs as their right tackle.